Expressions of Interest
Alex Theatre St. Kilda’s 2023/2024 Musical Season
APPLICATION DUE: WEDNESDAY 3rd MAY, 5:00PM AEST
Alex Read Theatre Performances Inc. is a charitable organization dedicated to supporting the sustainable creation of Art in Australia. We actively seek out artists and organisations with big ideas to help grow our creative community and advocate on behalf of both the artists within our walls and the theatrical sector as a whole. As part of our effort, Alex Theatre St. Kilda, in conjunction with Alex Read Theatre Performances Inc., is looking for 4 musicals to add to their 2023/2024 season.
Are you a theatre company, organisation, artist, producer or collective looking to premiere a stage ready new musical or have a licensed show in need of a venue and creative support?
We are now accepting proposals for musicals as part of our 2023/2024 season!
Our core objectives are woven together to create a multi-disciplinary stream of cultural, educational and creative support for artists, students, audiences and our local community at large:
- To create long-term, sustainable opportunities for arts workers to support the future of the performing arts workforce as a whole and improve the representation of the Arts as a valued business.
- To support touring and regional production and presentation of works: in order to give those with less access to quality artistic programming an opportunity to experience theatre and benefit from the cultural and community experience it brings.
- To support digital and immersive developments for greater breadth and scope for technological advancements in the creative sector.
- To be a trusted and knowledgeable voice in advocating for key investment for underrepresented artists and developmental projects.
- To invest time into the research and analysis of audience experience to content development: in order to better understand their preferences and where we can improve to ensure we are offering memorable and impactful creative experiences that bolster both the ongoing development of the arts sector and the vitality of the local and greater communities of which we are a part.
Creative Engagement: Programmes serving the local area to nurture new work, generate income for creative practitioners, entertain audiences, and strengthen the creative nature within the community.
Diverse Arts-Based Eco-system: Developing a dynamic and strong reputation for high standard and diversity branches of entertainment, including theatre and screen programming, visual art showcases, and nurturing the raw talent of new voices amongst seasoned artistic practitioners.
Sustainable Art: Sustainability in work and the environment, coexisting so that the footprint stimulates cultural, social, and economic activity within the community.
Alex Theatre St. Kilda (ATSK) was founded in 2015 and is the home to a diverse array of performing arts groups and artists who are actively working towards a common goal: to support the creative culture of Australia and tell the stories that move us – to laughter, to tears, to deeper thought. The stories that matter.
St Kilda is the original wellspring of rock music, creative arts, and film in Australia, and the top end of Fitzroy Street is the perfect location, nestled within the George building adjacent to the George Hotel, to share your stories and add them to this historical creative landscape. A multipurpose arts venue offering three different-sized spaces, artists are able to present a wide range of works in an accessible, comfortable venue that is also commercially viable.
The venue comprises of:
- 450 seat two tiered Theatre 1
- 245 seat two tiered Theatre 2
- The Studio, a versatile performance space
- A Lounge extending off the main foyer
- An intimate and private Boardroom
WHAT YOU GET
- A box office split with an agreed-upon amount going to the artist
- Social media and marketing support
- Front-of-house staff
- Free rehearsal space
- Producing support (to be defined based on production requirements)
- No hire fees other than the box office split
Support from Alex Read Performances Inc. and Alex Theatre St. Kilda, based on a two-week season, will be documented once the parameters of the production are defined. (Standard terms and conditions of hire apply)
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM US
- Use of the space and the equipment we have on-site, to be confirmed with our venue manager
- 4 hours per performance of front-of-house staff
- Marketing includes 3x social media posts and 3x stories on Instagram and Facebook, placement in 1 of our EDMs in the lead-up to your production, inclusion on our website
- Producing and/or creative assistance where capacity allows
- Ticketing services managed via online bookings
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU
- A completely produced, production ready musical
- Your own public liability insurance (can happily advise)
- A creative, design and technical team in place (including sound and lighting technicians – we can advise if you need recommendations)
- Manage production costs, wages, and fees associated with your production
- Have your own marketing plan in place that you are ready to activate and maintain from a minimum of 6 weeks prior to your first show.
Upon receipt of proposals, we will be in touch with those who we feel best suit the season ahead to discuss the project in greater detail. From there, final selections will be made.
Please know that if your show is not selected, this does not mean there is no room for it in our season in the future.
We thank you in advance for your time and interest, we can’t wait to hear about your musical!
The Alex Theatre St. Kilda Team